This section outlines the role.
This is a Casual (On-call) position. Applicants are always welcome.
Job Title: Child and Youth Care Worker (CYC)
Classification/Benchmark: Residential Child and Youth Worker
Grid Level: 11
The Child and Youth Care Worker shall report directly to the Director of Operations.
Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Child and Youth Care Worker (CYC) provides care to
children/youth with moderate to severe behavioural problems in a staffed home setting. The CSW performs all
duties in a safe, efficient, and respectful manner in order to promote choice, independence, and integration for
the individuals being served.
The CYC must adhere to the philosophies, policies, and procedures of Nanaimo Association for Community Living,
and in accordance with relevant Legislation and Regulations (i.e. Residential Care Regulations, and the Motor
▪ Participates in the assessment, goal setting, and progress evaluation of children/youth.
▪ Teaches children/youth to relate in a socially-appropriate manner through the use of daily routines and
▪ Monitors persons served in a staffed home setting and ensures their safety and well-being.
▪ Provides behaviour management counselling to persons served on a one-to-one and/or group basis by
performing duties such as providing feedback on persons served’s behaviour, teaching coping techniques
and adaptive behaviour, and providing guidance and support.
▪ Provides emotional support and crisis intervention to persons served, which may include non-violent physical
▪ Ensures communication and liaison between staffed home, school, family, and the community.
▪ Ensures that persons served’s physical needs are met by performing duties such as assisting with basic
personal hygiene, preparing meals, and administering medication as required in accordance with established
guidelines, procedures, and instructions.
▪ Maintains reports such as statistics, logbooks, daily activities on persons served.
▪ Carries out household duties such as meal preparation and household cleaning.
▪ Administers medication to persons served in accordance with established policy.
▪ Accompanies persons served to appointments and community outings.
▪ Performs other related duties as required.
▪ Education and Knowledge:
o Diploma in a related Human/Social Service field.
▪ Training and Experience:
o Two (2) years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and
NACL Job Description Child and Youth Care Worker (CYC) Page 2 of 2
Conditions of Employment
▪ Valid BC Driver’s License (Class 4 Unrestricted license required within three (3) months of orientation, unless
▪ Criminal Record Search upon commencement of employment and every three (3) years thereafter, providing
clearance to work with children and/or vulnerable persons.
▪ TB test with a negative result (per the Residential Care Regulation).
▪ Flu shot or preventative measures as mandated by the Ministry of Health – Community Care Licensing.
▪ COVID-19 vaccinations as mandated by Public Health Order.
▪ A vehicle with business insurance (business insurance must be obtained by employees who as a requirement
of their employment utilize their personal vehicle for transporting persons served, or are doing business on a
regular basis for NACL).
▪ Medical certificate (utilizing the Attending Physician’s Report form) indicating good health, per the Residential
▪ Current Ministry of Health recognized first aid certificate including CPR (which must be kept current while
employed with NACL).
Please apply from our website here: https://www.nanaimoacl.com/careers
This section outlines the commitment expected of a successful applicant.
Job Type & Location
This job is offered under the following conditions:
Less than 30 hours a week and ongoing.
Work on-site at the business location.
Work in multiple locations around the business location.
This job offers the following hours, schedules and shifts:
Weekly Hours Range
hours per week
Hours change week-to-week within the hour range.
Shift Start Times
Shifts may begin between 7am-11am
Shifts may begin between 11am-4pm
This section outlines the job's remuneration.
This job offers the following wage before taxes and other deductions:
2 Hours/WeekApprox. Monthly Income
HourlyBetween 2 - 30 Hours Per Week
30 Hours/WeekApprox. Monthly Income
Working on CPP Disability Benefits
If you receive Canada Pension Plan disability benefits you must inform Service Canada if earning more than a specific amount per year before taxes and other deductions. Details can be found under the "Doing paid work while receiving CPP disability benefits" heading in Section 5.0 of the Canada Pension Plan disability benefit toolkit.
This job offers the following benefits:
This section outlines the job's required capabilities.
Up to 10 lbs pounds
...must be lifted and transported by hand as part of the job.
Negotiable / Flexible
Sitting and standing options are negotiable/flexible, or the job requires a combination of both.
Negotiable / Flexible
The amount and type of multitasking can be negotiated with the employer.
This role does not require the use of technology.
This job involves repetitive tasks and/or the same duties daily.
This job requires critical thinking and independent problem-solving.
Example: resolving a customer complaint within company policy.
The position is remote or the workplace is silent.
Support & Guidance
Someone is always available to provide support and guidance.
Up to 10 peers peers
...are part of the team this role will work with on a daily basis.
Negotiable / Flexible
Break structure can be negotiated in collaboration with the employer to ensure it meets their business needs.